On November 27, 1894, the City of Kingston Hospital, located in a two-story wooden building on Broadway, opened its doors to its first patients. In its initial year of operation, the City of Kingston Hospital treated 56 patients. The number of patients, staff and facilities continued to grow until the Hospital suffered a setback in 1926. On February 20, a fire destroyed nearly one-third of the original hospital, leaving just two fireproof wings and a rear addition standing. No one was hurt and an ambitious building campaign allowed the reconstructed hospital to re-open the following year.
In 1940, the name of the Hospital changed from the City of Kingston Hospital to Kingston Hospital. The Hospital underwent major renovations and expansions in the 1950s and 1960s to provide the community with the most up-to-date medical services. Later in late 2012, Kingston Hospital was renamed once again to the Broadway Campus of HealthAlliance Hospital.
Today, the Broadway Campus is a 150-bed acute care hospital specializing in medical/surgical care, ambulatory surgery, diagnostic imaging, emergency, obstetrics, and rehabilitation and acute and chronic renal dialysis services.
After 110 years of operation, the Broadway Campus looks very different from 1894. Although the faces have changed, the medical technology has advanced, and the facility has grown in size, the hospital still operates under the same goals and purposes of its founders – to provide our community with the region’s best health care.