In 1852, the first Benedictine women came to the United States from the Saint Walburga’s Convent in Eichstatt, Bavaria. In 1901, the Benedictine Sisters of Elizabeth, New Jersey, Sister Aloysia Malloy, Sister Ignatia, Sister Boniface, and Sister Maura, founded the seven – bed hospital Our Lady of Victory Sanitarium and Training School for Nurses and Domestics to address the needs of the elderly, indigent and chronically ill.
Today, this hospital is located on Mary’s Avenue and is known as Mary’s Ave Campus, formerly Benedictine Hospital. Currently, the Benedictine Sisters serve in many roles throughout Mary’s Ave Campus, including the Pastoral Care Department at Mary’s Ave Campus.
To learn more about Pastoral Care click here.