The Mary’s Avenue Campus of HealthAlliance Hospital began in 1901 as “Our Lady of Victory Sanitarium and Training School for Nurses and Domestics.” Staffed by four Benedictine Sisters of Elizabeth, New Jersey, the hospital was established in response to the needs of the elderly, indigent, and chronically ill. The seven-bed hospital, which was set up in a small house on West Chestnut Street, soon gave way to a 1906 building at the present site on Mary’s Avenue. The hospital building at that time accommodated 36 patients.
In 1968, Benedictine Hospital launched a campaign to increase its number of beds, opening the Spellman Pavilion. In 1979, Sister Mary Charles Pavilion was opened, which added necessary surgical, radiology and emergency departments, as well as an intensive care unit and the only mental health unit in Ulster County.
In early 2013, the Benedictine Sisters reached an agreement with HealthAlliance of the Hudson Valley to relinquish sponsorship of the facility, which will be transformed with Kingston Hospital into a single, full-service secular hospital without limitations on reproductive services. The facility was renamed to the Mary’s Avenue Campus of HealthAlliance Hospital.
Today, the campus is a progressive, fully accredited 150-bed acute care facility serving the growing and ever changing needs of the Northern Hudson Valley. With numerous building expansions over the years, the hospital has kept pace with countless medical advances and new health care challenges.